Thoughts on riding injuries aka my bad ankle problems

Hello my beautiful equine lovers :)
Every once in a while I like to talk about that may be unrelated or indirectly related to the equestrian world. This is one of those indirect posts.

First I want to focus on the idea of horseback riding injuries. I have heard some equestrians say that you are not a "true rider" until you fall a certain amount of times. Although personally I don't agree with that it is undeniable that horseback riders become injured on average more often than participants of any other sport. Some experts even claim that horseback riding is the most dangerous sport out there due to its unpredictable nature. The truth is riders fall. Sometimes it is the riders fall other times a horse may spook but riders fall and riders get injured. Unfortunately many people realize just how risky riding can be and quit before they can really understand the benefits. Bottom line is if you really love horses and this sport you will get back in the saddle when you are once again able.

In horseback riding injuries I was no exception. I fell a lot especially early on when I was just learning to trot and canter by myself. Three of my falls ended in ankle fractures putting me in a cast. I dont remember much from that time but what i do remember is the doctor telling me it's a wonder i can still walk properly. Turns out each time I broke my ankle it was in the exact same spot. It wasn't until recently that I visited a Podiatrist because I begun to experience extreme pain in my ankle during my long hours of work. The doctor did x-rays and an MRI and concluded that one of my ligaments is chronically sprained and the other is partially torn. Unfortunatelly the only true fix is ankle surgery which would put me out of commission for 8 weeks.

It just so happens that i can't afford to be out of work and school for that long so I'm waiting out the surgery until next year. Until then I'm stuck with cortisone shots and a rather uncomfortablr ankle immobilizing brace to walk in. I'm also being really careful in my riding to make sure I don't further damage my ankle.  I will post updates on my progress and the surgery when i decide it is time for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Husband's Secret

Long Time no See + Great News!!!

Thoughts on Media, Objectification and Eating Disorders.